Sunday, April 18, 2010

i'd like to give the earth a hug . . .




I was trying to think of some more things we can do for Earth Day. We're going to pass around a soft model of the earth and have each child tell something he/she can do for the earth and then give it a big hug. Then, I'll have the littles color this earth pattern and I'll help them trace their forearms and hands. They can color their arms/hands and add details (rings, bracelets, etc.) and then cut them out and place them so they are hugging the earth. It looks like my arms are smothering the earth here so I guess I need to enlarge the earth pattern a bit :)

I've been trying to teach the littles to care for the earth's creatures instead of stomping them out on the playground. This week I'll bring in Leslie's veiled chameleon. The littles can't wait to meet her. A few years back, Leslie had a male and a female and the female laid a clutch of eggs. We carefully dug them up and placed them in a large underbed plastic storage box in vermiculite and waited for them to incubate. Almost all of the babies hatched and they were so tiny and amazing. The wonder of life. This planet we live on is pretty amazing.

No comments: