Monday, May 24, 2010

the little band








Yes, I'll admit it. I have a special place in my heart for books that I first discovered and loved alongside a little Leslie. The Little Band by James Sage and illustrated by Keiko Narahashi brings back all of those sweet memories of sitting together, Mama and baby, pouring over book after book. What a dear story about a mysterious band of children dressed as flowers who march through a town playing wonderful music.

Today I shared the magic of The Little Band with my band of littles. Afterwards, we carried some of our instruments outdoors and, despite the morning heat and humidity that is south Florida at this time of the year, we had a rollicking good time! Back indoors, we made drums (from oatmeal containers) and guitars (from tissue boxes). I'm always a little amazed how something as simple as a tissue box with a few rubber bands around it can bring such delight to the littles. And this is why I teach preschool . . .

1 comment:

Jen said...

your inspiration is contagious!