Tuesday, December 22, 2009

i never knew

I never knew it was so easy to make homemade tomato soup. For years I just relied on the old red and white can - dumping it in a pan and adding a can of milk. A few years ago I discovered some pretty tasty tomato soup in a box. No addition of milk needed! But yesterday's cool temperatures got me in the mood to make homemade soup. So, throwing caution to the wind, I gathered supplies and made soup for dinner. Bret and Leslie said they loved it - and they ate it all so I guess it was a success. Here's the recipe:

Saute an onion, a few chopped carrots, a couple of stalks of celery chopped small, a little thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic in olive oil. When it's soft add a box of chicken stock, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of white kidney beans (that you've rinsed to get rid of the salt). Simmer for about 30 minutes. Then puree with a hand blender.

This soup was really yummy and easy to throw together from things I just had on hand. I don't think I'll be going back to the red and white can any time soon.

No comments: